January 2, 2013

Australia mull batting reshuffle

Australian wicketkeeper-batsman Matthew Wade has welcomed his potential promotion to six in the batting order.

All-rounder Shane Watson's absence due to a calf injury, the possibility that captain Michael Clarke won't play because of a problematic hamstring and the impending retirement of batsman Michael Hussey has forced a reshuffle ahead of the third and final Test against Sri Lanka starting in Sydney on Jan 3.

While the left-handed Usman Khawaja will play if Clarke is not deemed fit enough, it's likely spinning all-rounder Glenn Maxwell will make his debut.

The swap would see spinner Nathan Lyon rested, Hussey move to four, Khawaja file in at five, Wade climb to six and Maxwell added at seven, with seamers Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc Peter Siddle and Jackson Bird making up the remainder of the XI.

"I'd be comfortable moving up to number six if that's what the team needed me to do to win a Test match. I've been lucky enough to bat at six for Victoria for a couple of years now," said Wade.

"In terms of impact on my wicketkeeping, it doesn't make too much of a difference coming one up the order. I'm happy to bat at six if the team needs me, or stay at seven."

Batsman David Hussey, meanwhile, has reaffirmed his desire to graduate to the Test fold come next year's tour of India, with brother Michael Hussey's retirement after a career that spanned 79 matches across seven years has opened the door for the younger sibling.

"I desperately want to play Test cricket and I haven't had the opportunity," said David Hussey, who has played 64 ODIs and 39 T20Is but is yet to be capped at Test level.

"I don't think I'd be able to replace Mike as a player, but I think it'd be a privilege to play Test cricket in his position. If that happens it would be fantastic

"I guess my advantage is I've played for a long time. I know my game pretty well. I've made a lot of first-class runs. Allegedly I'm a very good player of spin, so I'd love to prove myself against the Indians."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...